|Credit: CHEK News footage.|
Accident Renews Call for Horse Carriage Ban
Victoria, BC - May 23, 2014 - After confirmed reports of a carriage horse throwing and injuring its driver and colliding with two cars and a motorcycle this evening, local activist group Carriage-Free Victoria is renewing their call on council to ban this industry.
Victoria-based animal activist Dave Shishkoff has been campaigning against Victoria’s horse carriage trade for over 8 years. He believes horse drawn carriages are cruel, out-dated and dangerous. “Tonight was extremely unfortunate, but it also was 100% preventable. With tourist season fast approaching, traffic levels are only going to increase. City council needs to take immediate action and pass a bylaw to prohibit horse-drawn carriages.”
Over the next few weeks, Shishkoff vows to expand his campaign to ban the horse drawn carriages in Victoria. “Social media, protests and filling City Council’s mailboxes with signed postcards from residents urging council to ban the horses will be priority number one. There are clearly safer and more humane ways to entertain tourists in our city”, Shishkoff adds. Over 500 post cards have already been sent to City Hall.
Currently there are only two horse-drawn carriage companies that operate in the City of Victoria, after a third was shuttered last year for not paying taxes.
Action: WRITE CITY HALL IMMEDIATELY!
Demand they take steps to ban the carriages before even more people or horses are hurt. Some suggested talking points:
- It's an outdated and cruel industry.
- It's hard on horses: walking all day on hard concrete is harmful for their bodies, as is breathing in traffic fumes, and the traffic is an obvious danger.
- Too many accidents already have happened, and there's no system in place requiring accident reports, meaning the only accidents we hear about are the ones the media reports on.
- Traffic downtown will only intensify as the tourist season progresses, increasing the potential danger of these incidents.
- New York City is about to ban their carriages, and Victoria needs to follow suit.
Read more at: TheVictoriaVegan.com/foa
Carriage-Free Victoria on Facebook: Facebook.com/BanVictoriaCarriages
Finally, remind them that there is an election this November, and you expect to see them address this issue as well.
Send your emails to:
|Credit: CHEK News|
- 05/27 - CFAX 1070 Radio: On On-Air with Pamela McCall, taking some calls, plus interview with Larry Friedland from Tally Ho Carriages (30mins). https://soundcloud.com/pamela-mccall-cfax/may-27-10am#t=7:45
- 05/26 - CFAX 1070 Radio: On Mornings with Al Ferraby to discuss the carriages (10mins). https://soundcloud.com/al-ferraby-cfax/may-26-8am#t=20:40
- 05/25 - Times Colonist: "Crash renews call for ban on horse-drawn carriages" http://www.timescolonist.com/news/local/crash-renews-call-for-ban-on-horse-drawn-carriages-1.1074330
- 05/24 - CTV News: http://bc.ctvnews.ca/video?clipId=369768&binId=1.1184694&playlistPageNum=1
- 05/24 - CHEK News follow-up: http://www.cheknews.ca/?bckey=AQ~~,AAAA4mHNTzE~,ejlzBnGUUKY1gXVPwEwEepl35Y795rND&bclid=975107450001&bctid=3586594466001
- 05/23 - CHEK News Video: http://www.cheknews.ca/index.php?bckey=AQ~~%2CAAAA4mHNTzE~%2CejlzBnGUUKY1gXVPwEwEepl35Y795rND&bclid=975107450001&bctid=3585398902001
- 05/23 - Times Colonist: "Carriage horse bolts in downtown Victoria, collides with vehicles" http://www.timescolonist.com/entertainment/carriage-horse-bolts-in-downtown-victoria-collides-with-vehicles-1.1073566#sthash.AmxTCOOf.dpuf
- 05/23 - CFAX: Three vehicles damaged, one person injured by runaway horse downtown http://www.cfax1070.com/News/Top-Stories/Three-vehicles-damaged-one-person-injured-by-runaw
Dave Shishkoff, Editor